Sunday, January 16, 2011

January 16th - Not exactly a day of rest...

Sunday, supposed to be a rest up day, right? Wrong! My morning started with tons of studies to do for the Health Informatics class.  Lesson plans indicate I am to write a two page paper but I cannot find the directions anywhere for what that paper is to be about specifically. Also, it's been years since I've written a paper so I don't know how many resources to reference, etc.  I will be searching for it tonight. Oy!

After doing homework and taking care of Lily, I showered and then washed some shirts in the sink....did I mention that my things are STILL not here? I hung them over a floor vent to dry. I am sure there are laundromats here somewhere but I didn't see any driving around. My guess is the nearest would be in Portsmouth, NH. As many trips as I have been making over there, perhaps that is where I should have chosen to live and just commuted to work. Something to think about in a year or two, I guess.


After doing my "laundry" I borrowed a shovel and decided to make an area for Lily outside. She has been struggling with the depth of the snow and it is clearly not going away for awhile. We are to get more on Tuesday.  For about 90 minutes, I dug through 3-4 feet deep of snow to make a "patio" area so she could just go out the door and potty. I hope my dog knows how much I love her. I dug out about an 8x10 space so I could still watch her from the window and it is almost level with the back step. Using the locking retractable leash on the doorknob with the lead snaked under the door has been pretty effective for letting her out. I get to stand inside while she is outside and if she travels too far, the handle stops her. At least now she doesn't have to swim to her destination. Don't worry, I stopped to rest every now and then. It was a LOT of snow to move by hand.

Afterward, I changed into dry clothes and headed for a WalMart Super store in Somersworth that was supposed to be only 13 miles away. I had hopes of finding draperies I'd read about. Well, over the river and through the woods and 40 minutes later, my GPS  got me there. Via Cider Mill Road, which reminded me of Greenbluff and farming areas, complete with ancient cemetaries and many a winding road along the way. I must go back and check these out someday.

Finally, after passing through several other small townships, I arrived. Now, this supercenter is not really what we would consider to be super. It was pretty small. They didn't have a single thing I needed. So, I gravitated to the grocery section and bought my margarine (as back-up), some cilantro, guacamole and soy milk. At the check-out, the cashier asked me very sweetly what cilantro was, that she'd never seen it and what was it used for. I explained I use it in Asian and Mexican dishes. She said her boyfriend is Puerto Rican and did I think he would like it if she got him some? So then we talked about different foods and she told me he makes plaintains sauteed in garlic and they are good. I told her I'd heard of plantains in brown sugar and rum, but not garlic. She asked me how to make that and said she would tell him. Fifteen minutes later, I was able to finish checking out. She had a very strong New England accent and I had to try hard not to smile too much when she was talking about her Portah Rikkin boyfriend-ah.

I noticed a Home Depot across the street and forced myself to go there and buy those darned plastic deflectors for my heating vents. I've forgotten every time I've been in there. I also found window film in a bamboo pattern for my bathroom window that I think will match the colors of the shower curtain I got. I brought it home to try -- don't know why I hadn't thought of this before! Same kind of stuff I used on my entry window; squeegie on and peel off as needed. That way, I don't have to mess with a crtain and can use the header that will be coming in my things, whenever that is.

I also saw some possible thermal drapes for the living room, a nice tweed, but they didn't have enough. So, I made a mental note and moved on...

To Target, which was right next door. Now, this stop made the drive worth it! I found double drapery rods just like what I'd been searching for. I found chocolate thermal drapes, just like I'd been looking for, only there were only enough for one window and they are discontinued. Dammit. I bought them for my bedroom because...I found sheers that have a light paisley pattern to match my chocolate and jade bedroom cover that I'd been saving. So, I think it will tie it all together quite nicely. They did not have enough rods for all the windows I needed so I drove to...you guessed it, Portsmouth! (Actually, Greenland which is right next door to Portsmouth).

That store only had three so I am one short, but they told me I can order more online! I also found sheers in the colors I wanted for inside what ever drapes I end up getting. I tried to go to Home Depot from there, but they were already closed @6:30. So, on to WalMart...

I found some chocolate covered Eclipse (thermal) drapes and they had enough for the living room, so I bought them, but I am holding out for Home Depot to have what I want. Those drapes even have tabs on the backside so when you put the rod through they look like draw curtains. Very nice.

On the way between Greenland and Portsmouth, my GPS helped me get lost. Again, from Portsmouth a different way, I got lost. It was 8:45 before I got home and I was staring to rely on my girl scout skills. A couple of times it told me to go south when I clearly needed to go north, and even when I did what it said, it would say "recalculating," and turn me around again. It's those rotarys, I tell ya!

Tomorrow if my first big day at work, barring the movers suddenly showing up, so I should get back online and try to find that paper to write before I go to bed.

My love to all and special thanks to my darling daughter and friends who worked so hard helping to clean my house to help it sell.

Until next time--

No comments:

Post a Comment