Saturday, January 15, 2011

January 15th - Mall Day

I couldn't post or do homework last night. The landlord's two year old turned off the wireless router so no one had Internet....

When I got up this morning, it was minus 7 (-7!). My car doesn't like it when it gets that cold.
 
After feeding, exercising and pottying Lily, I took off to run some errands. I did go to the Farmer's Market which was at a huge clam bake restaurant that gets more than 60,000 people in the summer months. There were interesting vendors -- one guy with root vegetables, someone with shrimp, another two had organic meats, another just potatoes and eggs, several soap, lotion and pot pourri makers, some quilts, etc. 

I met a couple that lives here in York. They grow their own herbs  and make seasoning packets and meat rubs. I bought a couple of them to try and we visited for a bit. The wife thought it very odd that I would come so far just for a job. She then told me there were many different winter farmer's markets and they are all held on different Saturdays so as not to compete with each other. She told me about one coming up that is about four times as big and has better stuff.

Afterward, I stopped in the restaurant's gift shop and bought a clambake sweatshirt at half off, and a lobster cookie cutter. It was just cute, ok?

I decided I needed to seriously think about drapes, so I headed to Portsmouth to the local mall. I spent a couple of hours just walking through. It has all the usual mall stores plus a few unique to New England. Food court was very tiny, but typical. One place sold iced, whipped  coffees. No where sold espressos!!!   

After deciding I couldn't afford $50 per panel, on sale at Penney's for insulated drapes (it would have cost me over $200 per window), I went into Macy's because they were having an end of season, 50-70% off sale. I snagged myself a few more sweaters and turtlenecks at screaming deals. 

This is sweater country. There is even a Himalayan store that only sells Alpaca and other wool sweaters, hats, gloves, ponchos, etc. I was toying with a pair of gloves but didn't want to spend so much. Layering will be key here. My nice new lightweight blouses I got for teaching will NOT cut it here. I would freeze.  I will save them for spring weather. I found a heavier blouse at Christopher Banks for only $9!

I finished out the mall excursion with a trip to Staples for a new calendar for my holder. Whenever it gets here, that is...still haven't heard from the movers/.

On the way home, I stopped and had dinner at a local Mexican restaurant I'd been told was excellent. It would seem they are most known for their famous and lengthy margarita and exotic drink list...as I am driving as a stranger in a strange land, I didn't drink. I thought the food was so. I still say the best place is in the Spokane Valley... I ordered fajitas (they only serve cheese enchiladas) and man, were they ever sizzling. I must have done well ordering as it seems that was all anyone was requesting. However, it was a nice break in routine.

Rounding out the evening, I decided to stop and get more Tofutti cones...yes, they are pricey, but what a delicious treat! I also found these as my find of the day:

Please note the flavors:

Wild mushroom, lemon and chive, garlic and parsley and basil. They were all about $3 a bag and made locally. Supposedly cook in 3 minutes.


Well, that's pretty much all I have to report for today. Lily is napping at my feet.I expect a long day tomorrow as I have much homework to catch up on. My brain is on information overload. Did I mention that my things have not yet gotten here....

Thanks to those of you that follow me, and thank you to my beautiful daughter who says she is my friend.

--P 

No comments:

Post a Comment